Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Leaving Phnom Phen - 10th Mar

after a 2 hours rest, at about 4pm now, I decided to proceed to Sihanouk Ville, a bigger beach resort, that is about 130km from Kep. Claus prefers a nearby hill resort instead, so we part from here..
Wow, he is even equipped with gas burner and kettle to make coffee..
Clause decided to take a dip while I choose to take nap..





own by different operators, they were rather aggressive trying to get us to their particular shade.. we got into one and had our lunch break here at almost 3pm..
here we found this 'atap' shades.. (quite cool..) two long rows almost 50 of them, all with hammock where you can even spent a night here.
After checking with the boat operator, a boat ride across to the island is usd20/ return trip regardless of how many days there. bikes will be parked here and is said to be safe. we decided not to do so and proceed to look for other beach area for a break
reaching Kep at 2.10pm... thats about a 4 hours ride of only 145km.
just before reaching Kep, I was following a Baja until his water bottles started flying off at this off-road section.. I stopped together with him and thats where I got to know Claus from Denmark, who rode almost all over Cambodia on this rented Baja. I help him with my extra space I had to put his drinks and rode together into Kep.
Roads are still not too good towards Kep, a very small resort or picnic area on the southern coast of Cambodia.. some on going road works. Traffic is getting lesser and the air does improve..


a little detour due to road works..
started off down south on highway 3 was bad.. broken roads and potholes as big as moon craters..
I did not ride at all after reaching P.P.. traffic is so heavy and the way they drive and ride is crazy.. coming form all directions, you sometimes don't remember it's left-hand drive, right-hand drive or is it 'any drive'..
My tuk tuk driver Samedy.. good man that speaks fluent English as he works in the embassy for many yrs.
I went back to the hotel to pack up and leave for Kep at around 10am.
9am flight back to S'pore.. on Silk air..

Sending Jayne off at Phnom Phen International airport.

2 comments:

  1. Yo Patrick,eh,you made it to China?

    wah steady...dude,can email me how you managed to get the permit for the bike?and tips to share on route,place to stay,what to eat,expenditure,and basically the do's and don'ts?


    can email me at bono_pacific@hotmail.com or simply PM me at my slackriders account..

    CHeers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Read your blog as i googled Petchburi. Did you do it on your own? I am from Penang, and live in bangkok now. Going to Petchburi next month. I will have a friend from the UK next month, i think she will love it.
    PS this is the first time i have read anyones blog!
    Phaik Yeong

    ReplyDelete